Thursday 11 August 2016

Phrasal Verb

1.Lay (someone) off
Meaning : to stop employing someone for reasons that are not about the person's abilities.
Example : Tom loves his job and never slacks off,but his company is having financial problems and may lay Tom off.

slack off : to do something with less energy and effort than is usual or necessary.

2.Run (something) by (someone)
Meaning : to show or tell something to someone so it can be considered,approved,etc.
Example : I like to run my ideas by my supervisor.She always gives me good feedback.

3.Touch base (with someone)
Meaning : to meet and talk as a way of learning about recent news.
Example : Did you touch base with Jenny about our vacation plans?

4.Fall for (someone)
Meaning : to feel a strong attraction to someone ; to fall in love with someone.
Example : I fell for Niall the moment I saw him,and I asked him out the next day

5.Fix (someone) up
Meaning : to arrange a date for someone.
Example : My friend fixed me up on a blind date.

No comments:

Post a Comment