Saturday 25 June 2016

"Anxious" or "Eager"?

1. We had a great night yesterday at Seoul Garden,alhamdulillah :) Nevertheless,I don't eat much (seriously). I got full easily (but got hungry easily too) haha.
2.My sister has safely arrived KLIA and now she's on the plane to Johor Bahru.Thanks Allah.
Back to the topic,sometimes I am confused when to use anxious and when to use eager.
So,when to use ''Anxious",and when to use "Eager"?
It depends on how you feel, you may be anxious or eager for school to start. To some people, anxious has more of a negative connotation than eager. You're eager for school to start if you're looking forward to it. You're anxious for school to start if you feel nauseous every time you think about it.
 
Anxious comes from the same root as anxiety. If you can remember that, you can remember that anxious isn't a good thing.
 
Anxious is evolving, though. The distinction between anxious and eager was much stronger in the seventeenth century. Today, many people use the words interchangeably.
  • I'm eager to see my best friend again. (standard)
  • I'm anxious to see the school bully. (standard)
  • I'm anxious to get our new puppy. (acceptable, but sometimes disputed)

No comments:

Post a Comment