Thursday 17 November 2016

Debate

       This week, we had a debate tournament among the MADPP students. It was a great experience as I have never been into an English debate before. I used to represent my MRSM in Malay debate but seriously, Malay and English debate are so different. Especially on the motions, English debate seems to have a more general and loose motions whereas Malay debate’s motions are usually more serious. And a non-native speaker, sometimes I think it’s hard to speak out everything in my mind. Sometimes I was like “ the points are here in my head, how can I express them orally? XD *need to speak English more in order to be really fluent in speaking.

      So, along the tournament, I have learnt many things from Miss Jo, my teammates ( Emily and Azrul), and others (including the internet hehe)

  1. Points are very important
      I can say it’s almost useless if we can only speak fluently, confidently but we have no good point. We may look convincing from the style, but the judges judge more on the points given. Plus, the way we elaborate our points and how we connect our points to the motion are very essential in order to give a clear view to the audience and the judges. It is a bonus to have supportive evidence from pass research or history but we really need to make sure they fit the context, or else, they are going to kill our points. 

    2. See something from different perspective

      Sometimes we don’t see the good sides of everything. But in a debate, sometimes we need to oppose something that we really believe in. By hook or by crook, we need to find points to oppose the motion. Then only will we discover that there are some really good points, we just did not look at different perspective. So, debate really enhances us to be more open minded and see things in different ways. To apply in life, sometimes we need to choose something that we do not like in life, but believe me, there are good sides in everything so think positive and accept the challenge!

    3. To be a good listener and a good speaker

      Debate is not only about speaking to defend our stand. Debate is also about to rebut the points given by the other team. That is why we need to be a good listener too. In order to rebut our rival, we cannot simply accuse them blindly. By rebutting with facts or others, we can have a healthy debate,not an emotional one. Debate also teaches us to be more patience in expressing our idea so that we look more professional and educated.


     I really hope I can learn more about the ways and strategies to win in a debate. At least, this can be a stepping stone for me to be a good English debater in the future. Till then, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment